Join our team!
Would you be interested in working in a school where faculty, staff, board and families are engaged in creating a well-rounded educational opportunity that educates the whole child and awakens basic goodness? A community that focuses as much on nourishing a child’s ability to navigate life, as it does on academic excellence? The Shambhala School of Halifax offers a unique work environment, where teachers are supported to bring their love of children into a developmental, creative and mindful approach, to an arts integrated and enriched academic program that nurtures awareness and invites compassionate society to bloom.
The Shambhala School is an independent, co-educational school serving a diverse Pre-Primary to Grade 12 population in North End Halifax. We provide an enriched curriculum that meets or exceeds the Nova Scotia Provincial Educational standards. Our curriculum is built on the five pillars of: Mindfulness/Compassion, Integrated Arts, Outdoor Education, Classical Literature/ History, and Society. The Shambhala School offers an inclusive, age appropriate approach to education that integrates arts and academics to ignite a genuine passion for learning. Our unique curriculum inspires students to grow into confident, creative thinkers with a strong sense of social and environmental awareness.
Diversity Statement: At our school, individual differences are recognized, appreciated and responded to in ways that fully develop and utilize each person’s abilities and strengths. The Shambhala School is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from traditionally under-represented groups including but not limited to the African Canadian community, Indigenous peoples, and the LGBTQ+ community.
Current Employment Opportunities
Permanent openings for 2023/2024
Grade 2 Teacher
We are seeking a passionate and experienced Grade 2 Teacher to join our team for the upcoming academic year. Our school community is committed to creating a nurturing, inclusive and engaging learning environment where students are encouraged to explore, create and innovate. We believe in a holistic education that nurtures the whole child, encompassing academic, social and emotional development.
- Plan, deliver and assess high-quality curriculum aligned with Nova Scotia Learning Outcomes.
- Differentiate instruction to meet the diverse needs and learning styles of students.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with students, parents, and colleagues.
- Integrate arts-based practices and strategies into daily instruction.
- Foster a mindful learning environment by modelling and teaching mindfulness practices.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field.
- Nova Scotia Teacher Certification (or eligibility to obtain).
- Demonstrated experience in integrating arts into the curriculum.
- Strong understanding of and experience with mindfulness practices.
- Excellent communication, organisational, and interpersonal skills.
- Understanding of music theory and ability to play a musical instrument or be comfortable singing with students.
- Comfortable in an outdoor setting and teaching children in an outdoor environment.
- Experience with universal design for learning.
- Experience with project-based learning.
- Additional qualifications or certifications related to mindfulness and arts-based education.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package and a supportive and collaborative work environment. If you are passionate about teaching, committed to innovative and holistic approaches to education, and excited about being part of a dynamic school community, we encourage you to apply.
To apply, please submit your cover letter, resume, and teaching portfolio (if available) to the attention of the Hiring Committee at [email protected]. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Middle School Teacher
We are seeking an experienced and dynamic Middle School Teacher who is passionate about delivering high-quality education to our diverse student body. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in Universal Design for Learning (UDL) and experience with our pillars of outdoor education, integrated arts, mindfulness, and community. Shambhala School is committed to critical pedagogy and decolonizing the curriculum. We are looking for a teacher who shares our values and is interested in working with us to create an engaging and meaningful learning experience for our students.
- Create and implement engaging and innovative lesson plans that incorporate UDL principles and our school’s pillars.
- Foster a positive and inclusive learning environment that encourages academic and personal growth.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with students, families, and colleagues.
- Use a variety of assessment strategies to evaluate student progress and adjust instruction accordingly.
- Participate in professional development opportunities and contribute to the school’s continuous improvement efforts.
- Embrace and promote the school’s commitment to equality and diversity.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with students, parents, and colleagues.
- Bachelor’s degree in education or a related field.
- Familiarity with UDL principles and strategies.
- Experience with outdoor education, integrated arts, mindfulness, and community building.
- Comfortable teaching in and outdoor environment and participating in outdoor trips.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The Shambhala School is an equal-opportunity employer and strongly encourages candidates from underrepresented groups to apply. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to achieving our mission of providing a transformative education that prepares students for success in an ever-changing world.
If you are passionate about teaching and dedicated to helping students reach their full potential, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity to join our vibrant community. Please submit your cover letter, resume, and teaching philosophy to [email protected]. The successful candidate will be subject to passing and maintaining a Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector check.
Learning Specialist Teacher
We are seeking an experienced and passionate Learning Specialist Teacher to join our team. This is a new position at our small independent school, and we are looking for a candidate with a deep understanding of Universal Design for Learning. The successful candidate will be a dedicated and inspiring educator with knowledge and experience in current and best practices in differentiated instructional learning strategies and educational assessments and approaches. The candidate will work with key stakeholders, providing academic support for all students to implement identified accommodations and instructional needs.
As our Learning Specialist Teacher, you will work with students from Pre Primary through grade 12, providing both remediation and enrichment as needed. You will be an integral part of our faculty, collaborating with colleagues to create a curriculum that is accessible and inclusive for all of our students.
Shambhala School is committed to critical pedagogy and decolonizing the curriculum. We are looking for a teacher who shares our values and is interested in working with us to create an engaging and meaningful learning experience for our students.
- Providing targeted instruction and support to students with diverse learning needs
- Collaborating with classroom teachers to ensure that instruction is differentiated and accessible
- Developing and implementing strategies to promote academic and social-emotional growth for all students
- Participating in ongoing professional development to stay current with best practices in learning support and pedagogy
- Collaborating with faculty to review and revise curriculum to promote inclusive, accessible and diverse learning environments
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or related field, Master’s degree is preferred
- Certification in Special Education is a must
- Strong knowledge of Universal Design for Learning principles and practices
- Experience with remediation and enrichment strategies
- Familiarity with decolonizing the curriculum and critical pedagogy
Passion for working with students with diverse learning needs and a commitment to equity and inclusion
We offer a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a comprehensive benefits package. If you are interested in joining our team of dedicated educators, please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining your qualifications and interest in the position.
Shambhala School is an equal-opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please submit your cover letter, resume, and teaching philosophy to [email protected]. The successful candidate will be subject to passing and maintaining a Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector check.
The Shambhala School is looking to expand our roster of substitute teachers and caregivers.
We are looking for qualified substitute teachers for all levels: Pre-Primary, Elementary (Primary to Grade 5), and Upper School (Grades 6-12). The requirements are as follows:
- Pre-Primary – Applicants should have experience working with children aged 3-5 years. ECE certification is preferred but not required for substitute teachers, as you will be paired with an ECE teacher.
- Grades Primary through 12 – Applicants are required to have, at a minimum, an undergraduate degree with experience teaching in a classroom milieu. BEd is preferred, unless it is a specialty area (Music, Art, Drama).
To apply please submit your resume and letter of interest to [email protected] In your letter of interest please identify the grades and subject you would prefer to teach, and the grades and subjects you are willing to teach.
Upon acceptance to our substitute list, we will ask you to provide the following Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Check, Child Abuse Registry Check, First aid and CPR certification Level C (Pre-Primary only)