Join our team!
Would you be interested in working in a school that focuses as much on nourishing a person’s ability to navigate life as it does on academic excellence? The Shambhala School of Halifax offers a unique work environment where teachers are supported to bring a mindful and creative approach, compassion, love of children, and strong understanding of all aspects of development to an integrated and enriched academic program.
The Shambhala School is an independent, co-educational school serving a diverse Pre-Primary to Grade 12 population in North End Halifax. We provide an enriched curriculum that meets or exceeds the Nova Scotia Provincial Educational standards. Our curriculum is built on the four pillars of: Mindfulness and Compassion, Integrated Arts, Outdoor Education, and Society.
Elementary Physical Education (40%)
The prospective teacher will teach Physical Education to four classes, from Primary to grade five, and run lunch time intramurals and after-school athletics for this age group. The Shambhala School emphasizes a less competitive approach to physical development in elementary school. The Physical Education curriculum for that age group focuses on individual athletic skills, cooperative games and a gradual introduction to competition.
Some distance/remote programming and teaching may be necessary during the 2020/2021 school year.
The candidate is athletic, with the ability and interest to inspire a wide range of students to develop their physical skills, at an appropriate developmental level, to discover joy in sports and physical activity, and to motivate them to live an active and healthy life. In addition, a personal yoga, meditation and/or martial arts practice would be an asset.
- The candidate holds a valid Nova Scotia Teaching Certificate, Bachelors of Education, or Bachelor’s Degree with a teaching certificate in Waldorf, Enki,or other contemplative education approach. Physical Education teaching certificate or teaching experience is also required.
- Minimum two years’ experience teaching children ages 5 to 10.
- Proven organizational skills and curriculum development with emphasis on collaboration and openness to new ideas.
- Proven communication skills, both written and oral.
- Proven experience implementing curriculum delivery at grade level.
Applicants must also:
- be capable of creating and modeling a culture of kindness
- be flexible in your thinking, and enjoy working collegially with others
- work some weekends and evenings
Salary and Benefits are based upon the teacher’s years of experience as applied to the Shambhala School pay scale. In addition to statutory holidays, the Shambhala School takes a two week break in March.
At the Shambhala School, individual differences are recognized, appreciated and responded to in ways that develop and galvanize each person’s abilities and strengths.
The Shambhala School is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from traditionally under-represented groups, including, but not limited to, the African Canadian community, Indigenous peoples, and the LGBTQ* community.
Conditions of Employment:
The successful candidate must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident, and will be required to complete a Criminal Background Check, Vulnerable Sector check, and Child Abuse Registry Clearance. All applicants must be eligible to work in Canada, hold a valid first aid/CPR certificate, and live in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Please send a cover letter and your resumé addressed to the Executive Director, Carolyn Mandelker firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state in the subject line, “Application for Elementary Physical Education Teaching Position.”