Join our team!
Would you be interested in working in a school that focuses as much on nourishing a person’s ability to navigate life as it does on academic excellence? The Shambhala School of Halifax offers a unique work environment where teachers are supported to bring a mindful and creative approach, compassion, love of children, and strong understanding of all aspects of development to an integrated and enriched academic program.
The Shambhala School is an independent, co-educational school serving a diverse Pre-Primary to Grade 12 population in North End Halifax. We provide an enriched curriculum that meets or exceeds the Nova Scotia Provincial Educational standards. Our curriculum is built on the four pillars of: Mindfulness and Compassion, Integrated Arts, Outdoor Education, and Society.
Shambhala School Position: Pre-Primary Director and/or Teacher
The Shambhala School of Halifax is hiring! Would you be interested in working in a school where faculty, staff, board and families are engaged in creating a well rounded educational opportunity that educates the whole child and awakens basic goodness? A community that focuses as much on nourishing a child’s ability to navigate life, as it does on academic excellence? The Shambhala School of Halifax offers a unique work environment, where teachers are supported to bring their love of children into a developmental, creative and mindful approach, to an arts integrated and enriched academic program that nurtures awareness and inspires compassionate society to bloom. Our unique curriculum inspires students to grow into confident, creative thinkers with a strong sense of social and environmental awareness.
The Shambhala School Pre-Primary Program has 14 years of experience in creating a school culture that nurtures physical, cognitive and social/emotional resilience in our students. We are licensed by the Nova Scotia Department of Education and Early Childhood Development and comply with its regulations. Like the rest of the school, our early childhood curriculum is built on the five pillars of Mindfulness/Compassion, Integrated Arts, Outdoor Education, Classical Literature, and Community. We believe that all children deserve an environment where they can reach their full potential.
Position available for the 2021-2022 school year:
There is the equivalent of one full-time position open, which could be filled in a number of ways, depending on the skills and interest of the applicants:
- Pre Primary classroom teacher, full time or part time
- Pre Primary Director, part time
- Combination of part-time director and part-time classroom teacher
What are we looking for? Our ideal candidate:
- Is a dynamic, innovative, and caring educator and communicator
- Has a certificate or degree in Early Childhood Education from an accredited college or university and a Nova Scotia ECE classification Level 2 or 3
- Has knowledge of the Nova Scotia Day Nurseries Act
- Is comfortable with the use of storytelling, movement and music in the classroom as an integral part of the curriculum
- Has the ability to take a leadership role and work collaboratively
- Has excellent organizational skills
- Experience working with children, 3-5 years of age
- Background or experience in contemplative education
- Creative thinking
- Facilitation and mentoring skills
- An open mind and the willingness to learn through self reflection
- Physical strength, stamina and flexibility
- A personal mindfulness practice
- Emotional resilience and a sense of humour
School Salaries and Benefits:
- Are based upon the teacher’s years of experience applied to the Shambhala School pay scale
- Includes: 2 week March break
- Shambhala School Extended Health Benefits
- Tuition Benefit for children of staff
- Professional development, including opportunities for formal training in Waldorf, Enki, and mindful education practices.
Individual differences are recognized, appreciated and responded to in ways that fully develop and utilize each person’s abilities and strengths. The Shambhala School is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from traditionally under-represented groups including but not limited to BIPOC peoples, and the LGBTQ community. If you are applying and are a member of an under-represented group, please specify this in your cover letter.
Conditions of Employment:
The successful candidate will be required to complete a Criminal Background Check, Vulnerable Sector Check and Child Abuse Registry Clearance. All applicants must be eligible to work in Canada, and be willing to relocate to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
How to Apply:
To apply, send a cover letter and resumé to the attention of Ms. Leah Noonan at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for submitting- May 7, 2021.