Choosing the right school for your child is an important decision. We want to help you ensure that you find the “right fit”. Before applying, please feel free to contact us to obtain further information, book a tour of the school, or to schedule a meeting. Simply take a moment to fill in our Admissions Inquiry Form and our Admissions Team will get back to you.
We are currently accepting inquiries for new enrolments for the 2023/2024 academic year.
We will begin accepting applications as early as the beginning of February 2023 and up until May 2023. During June and early July we will be finalizing our review of applicants and related acceptances and finalizing associated enrolment details. Our Admissions office will be closed in August.
Some grade levels are currently projected to be at or near capacity for next year. We encourage prospective families to initiate the application process as soon as possible. This will ensure adequate time for us to answer your questions, review the application forms and schedule a student visit day prior to the end of May 2023.
If you are interested in joining us immediately we are open to mid-year inquiries dependent on classroom capacity.
1. Make an initial inquiry to ask your questions and to arrange a meeting or tour
Please contact us with your initial questions and to obtain information about our programs through our Admissions Inquiry Form.
A member of our Admissions Team will be in contact with you
- If you are interested in our Pre-Primary program, you will be contacted by Ms. Maggie McNevin, Head Teacher of our Pre-Primary program at [email protected] .
- If you are interested in Primary, Elementary, Middle School or High School, you will be contacted by Ms. Margot Louise, our Head of Admissions at [email protected]
Both Ms. Maggie and Ms. Louise teach full time so please allow a day or two for them to get back to you.
While face-to-face meetings and in person tours are our preference, at present we will respond to your inquiries in the manner that best suits the needs of you and your family, and adheres to current public health mandates.
2. Initiate application process
Once you have decided that Shambhala School is a good fit for your family and are ready to initiate the application process let us know. We will begin accepting applications for the 2023/2024 Academic year by the beginning of February 2023. We will have our Head of Admissions, Ms, Susan Marsh, set up a profile in the Shambhala School parent portal so you can login and complete and submit the applicable application form and other required supporting documents.
Applicants for enrollment should submit:
- Student application form
- Student Recommendation Form (completed by their teacher)
- Report Cards for the current year and at least one previous year (for students entering Gr1 +)
- Psychoeducational assessment reports or other reports (if applicable)
3. Pay application fee
Applications will not be considered complete until payment of the $125 application fee has been received. This payment can be made by:
– eTransfer: please send to [email protected] . In the notes section please note the student name and the words “application fee”. The security answer should be “shambhala” (all lower case).
– cheque: please make the cheque out to “the Shambhala School” and make arrangements with our office at 902-454-6100 x1 to drop it off or send it to us at The Shambhala School, 5450 Russell Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 1W9
4. Student Visit
Once all of the submissions are received along with the application fee, the completed submissions will be reviewed and we will move towards setting up a student visit.
5. Notification of Acceptance
Within two weeks of the classroom visit (or alternative arrangement), we will notify you of the classroom teacher’s recommendation for acceptance.
6. Finalize your admission
To finalize your admission and hold your child’s place in class we required the following within 14 days of acceptance:
- A non-refundable deposit
- Signed financial contract
- Payment in full or monthly payment arrangements
7. Register for our Before and After School Program
If you are registering a student in Pre-Primary to Grade 5 and are interested in our Before or After School Program, please refer to the separate fee schedule.
We recommend for you to complete your enrollment for our Before and After School Program within 14 days of acceptance, but we do understand that your plans and arrangements may change and will accept enrollment in our Before and After School Program as space allows up until August 1, 2022.
Application and Recommendation Forms
Once interested families have completed the inquiry process they can indicate they are ready to move forward with an application.
Our Head of Administration, Ms. Susan Marsh, will set up applicants in our parent portal and applicants will receive log in information that will enable them to view and complete forms at The Shambhala School Parent Portal
Click here for details of the admission process and admission forms applicable to International Students.